Tuesday, July 24, 2012

How does your garden grow?

For the first time in my life, I have a garden.  I loved planting flowers in the spring when I was little, but I have never really planted anything else.

Except that one time I got a packet of radish seeds in a happy meal, so I planted them and one grew and I dug it up - I was so proud - and waited to give it to Nan-Naw b/c she was the only person we knew who liked radishes, but it spoiled before we could give it to her and my little heart was sad.  (Yes, I know that was a rant and a run-on sentence, but it just seemed to fit.)

So I got my self some pots and some soil and some seeds, and now we have a little container garden!



We actually did plant some radishes!  Jared likes them, but he said ours were REALLY potent.  I've noticed that most of what we have grown has been stronger tasting than what you buy in the store.



From seed we grew radishes (they are super fast to grow), rosemary, sunflowers, some other flower seeds that Chess got, cilantro, carrots, and some pumpkin plants.  From baby plants we are growing tomatoes, mint, and basil.

What's neat about the tomato plant is that I found two baby tomato plants coming up under the momma plant.  So now we have three!

I love have our little garden, and I'm already thinking of some things I want to grow next year.  Strawberries early on (I hear they are difficult to grow, but I'll give it a try), a few pepper plants, and watermelon (my sister has baby watermelons growing and they're so cute!).

No comments: